Owner's Manual for the Brain; Volume number 0
Emotion: The Owner's Manual
On Sale: 05/06/2014Enlarge Book Cover
Spend $49 and get FREE shipping on HC.com
To read e-books on the BookShout App, download it on:
We have partnered with Bookshout and recommend using their app as a simple way to read our e-books. Their App is available for download on iOS and Android devices. You can also access your e-book titles on your desktop or mobile browser.
- Download the Bookshout App on or .
- Enter your HarperCollins account username and password. Please note that your username is an e-mail address.
- Download your e-book(s) from your bookshelf.
Emotion: The Owner's Manual
We'd love you to buy this book, and hope you find this page convenient in locating a place of purchase.
Select a Bookseller - Direct Link to Buy
The broadest selection of online bookstores. The links will take you to the Web site's homepage. From there you can navigate to the title you are interested in.
Interest-specific online venues will often provide a book buying opportunity. Click here for a list of interest-specific sites grouped by category.
If you are located outside the U.S., the best way to order online is to choose from the following bookstores listed by region and country.
Cutting-edge, user-friendly, and comprehensive: the revolutionary guide to the brain, now fully revised and updated
At birth each of us is given the most powerful and complex tool of all time: the human brain. And yet, as we well know, it doesn't come with an owner's manual—until now. In this unsurpassed resource, Dr. Pierce J. Howard and his team distill the very latest research and clearly explain the practical, real-world applications to our daily lives. Drawing from the frontiers of psychology, neurobiology, and cognitive science, yet organized and written for maximum usability, The Owner's Manual for the Brain, Fourth Edition, is your comprehensive guide to optimum mental performance and well-being. It should be on every thinking person's bookshelf.
- What are the ingredients of happiness?
- Which are the best remedies for headaches and migraines?
- How can we master creativity, focus, decision making, and willpower?
- What are the best brain foods?
- How is it possible to boost memory and intelligence?
- What is the secret to getting a good night's sleep?
- How can you positively manage depression, anxiety, addiction, and other disorders?
- What is the impact of nutrition, stress, and exercise on the brain?
- Is personality hard-wired or fluid?
- What are the best strategies when recovering from trauma and loss?
- How do moods and emotions interact?
- What is the ideal learning environment for children?
- How do love, humor, music, friendship, and nature contribute to well-being?
- Are there ways of reducing negative traits such as aggression, short-temperedness, or irritability?
- What is the recommended treatment for concussions?
- Can you delay or prevent Alzheimer's and dementia?
- What are the most important ingredients to a successful marriage and family?
- What do the world's most effective managers know about leadership, motivation, and persuasion?
- Plus 1,000s more topics!
- ISBN: 9780062357618
- ISBN 10: 0062357611
- Imprint: William Morrow Paperbacks
- On Sale: 05/06/2014
- List Price: 0.99 USD
- BISAC1: PSYCHOLOGY / General
- BISAC2: PSYCHOLOGY / Cognitive Psychology & Cognition
- BISAC3: PSYCHOLOGY / Reference
“A wonderful combination of coffee-table book, engaging and informative reading experience, and handy reference. ... it resembles Carl Sagan’s popular works.” - Booklist
“Targeting an audience of lifelong learners... [it] offers a variety of ideas and perspectives and some excellent reading lists for the general reader.” - Library Journal
”An intriguing book! I’m impressed with the author’s knowledge of current research and his ability to effectively translate it for the general reader.” - Gordon Claridge, Ph.D., Emeritus Professor, Psychology Department, University of Oxford
“Bridges the gap between the findings of neuropsychological research and their application by the general public. Humane clarity and practicality are the hallmarks of Dr. Howard’s work. A book to be read -- and applied.” - Peter J. Fagan, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Director, Office of USFHP, Behavioral Healthcare, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institute
“This useful look at all the facets of the brain and its inner workings will be an excellent resource for those curious about how this organ works and for those looking for a more readable interpretation of the scientific studies done on it.” - Library Journal